Thursday 10 November 2011

Wed Nov 9 Gouda & Rotterdam a/k/ our love affair with cheese continues

Oh cheese, how I love thee!  From the tasty samplings on the buffet in the morning to the cheese board at night, I have learned to adore good cheese again.  From the creamy camembert to the gouda to the herbed goat cheese, the munsters, ahhhhh!!.

Yesterday was a trek to the town of Gouda which was almost an hour from the ship but worth every moment of travel.  St Jans Church was spectacular.  Their collection of stained glass windows dating back to 1555 are awe inspiring.  The church started off as Catholic and is now a Protestant church and almost appears as a church split in two.  The organist was practicing on the large pipe organ while we were there and the sound was so fantastic. 

Their town hall dates from 1450 and has wonderful stone carvings decorating large parts of it plus a whimsical version of a cuckoo clock with a king. 

From there we went to a farm and saw Gouda cheese production.  It is a raw milk cheese that they produce and the flavour is wonderful.  I'm coming home with two large goudas (only 6 euros each) in my bags. 

In the afternoon, a lot of people went into Rotterdam but the extensive walking from the day before got to me and the 2 hour nap was much needed.  A silversmith came to the ship in the afternoon to demonstrate his filigree work which was exquisite.  I indulged in a necklace with two silver endings that are modeled after the silver tips they used to have on their knitting needles.  In the evening we had a real treat with the local Sea Shanty Choir.  It's a group of approximately 25 men and 1 woman who sing mainly old ship songs but they are great.  The average age was between 65 and 80 but their enthusiasm and wonderful choral style brought much of the guests to their feet.

1 comment:

  1. I love me some good Gouda and Goat Cheese, they're my Favorite. I remember going over to my friend Janneke's house especially when they got their order of Gouda from Holland. We did everything possible with that Gouda. So YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete